JSA - Voluntary schemes

Wed, 29/02/2012 - 14:14 -- nick

Some government schemes are voluntary and you can ask your personal adviser for advice on joining one.
In some cases, however, attendance may be compulsory if the personal adviser feels you will benefit from attendance. In these cases, you will be referred via a jobseeker’s direction. If you are given a jobseeker’s direction to attend any of the schemes below, failure to do so, or leaving before the scheme is completed, can lead to a benefit sanction.
Training for Work in Scotland
Training for Work is a training programme for adults in Scotland, aged 18 or over, who have been unemployed long-term. Contact your Jobcentre Plus office for more information. You can also find information about Training for Work on the Scottish Enterprise website at: www.scottish-enterprise.com.
Community Jobs Scotland (CJS)
Community Jobs Scotland (CJS) is a Scottish Government scheme which helps 16-24 year olds get a paid job in the voluntary sector. You need to have been unemployed for at least six months to be considered. If you are over 25, you can apply if you live in a designated area of high unemployment and have also been unemployed for at least six months. All CJS jobs must be for at least 25 hours a week and last for at least 26 weeks, or 39 weeks if you're 16 to 17. All jobs will be paid at the national minimum wage or above.
Your Jobcentre Plus adviser would need to refer you to this scheme if you're over 18. If you're 16 or 17, you'll need to contact a Skills Development Scotland Adviser for information and referral to the CJS scheme.
For more information about this scheme, go to the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations (SCVO) website at www.scvo.org.uk.
Work Based Learning for Adults in Wales
Work Based Learning for Adults in Wales is aimed at people aged 25-63 who have been unemployed 6 months or more. Early entry is available to certain groups of people, such as single parents, people with disabilities and those most at risk of not being able to get or keep a job such as ex-offenders.
Work Based Learning for Adults in Wales provides a programme tailored to meet your individual needs which may include guidance, work experience, training and qualifications.
For more information, contact your local Jobcentre Plus. You can also find information at: www.elwa.org.uk.
Programme Centres (including Jobclubs)
Programme Centres are run on behalf of Jobcentre Plus by a range of providers from the public, private and voluntary sectors. Each Programme Centre has a contract with Jobcentre Plus to provide specific jobsearch and guidance programmes, sometimes known as Jobclubs. They can help, for example, with interview techniques and CV preparation.
Programme Centres provide help to unemployed people aged 25 or over who have been out of work and claiming benefits for six months or more. You will qualify as having claimed benefits if your partner receives benefit on your behalf. In some areas, jobseekers aged 18-24 years old may have access to the programme. Jobcentre Plus staff can advise you if this is available in your area.
Some special categories of jobseekers may be able to have immediate access to programme centres. These include, for example, people with disabilities, people with literacy/numeracy problems, those who are homeless, exoffenders or people returning to work after looking after a family.
If you want to join a Programme Centre, you must:

  • be looking for a job, rather than training or taking part in another scheme or programme; and
  • be prepared to attend regularly.

Programme Centres provide help in the form of training sessions which attempt to improve job hunting techniques and, where necessary, restore self-confidence. You will also have facilities to help you find a job, such as the use of a desk, telephone, word processor, newspapers, directories, stamps, stationery and photocopying facilities.
While attending the Programme Centre, you will get your normal benefits, and have your fares paid. Get more information from your local Jobcentre Plus office.
People with literacy difficulties
In some areas, there is provision for people with severe literacy difficulties or whose first language is not English. Further information about special facilities is available from your local Jobcentre Plus office.
Disabled people
If you are disabled, you are eligible to apply for special assistance to help you use Programme Centre facilities. This may include telephone aids, braille devices, special chairs, readers if you are blind or partially sighted, or a communicator if you have hearing difficulties. In some areas there may be a Centre specifically equipped for people with mobility problems or one which provides facilities, for example, for a group of people with hearing impairment. Further information about special facilities for disabled people is available from Jobcentre Plus.
Citizens Advice Bureau