- 1/3 cup white rice, washed
- 3 turnips, sliced
- 1/4 cup gravy
- 8 ounces crushed tomatoes.
- 4 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable stock
- Cut three young turnips into slices and put them on a cooking rack, over a cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt, cover them with a dish, and let them stand for about two hours until the water has run out of them.
- Put the slices in a frying-pan and fry them slightly in butter, until softened.
- Add the gravy and tomatoes, and after having cooked this for a few minutes pour it into boiling stock.
- Add well-washed rice, and boil for 30 minutes.