This American article may price its savings in dollars but the advice is still the same for us in Britain.
Being frugal doesn’t mean falling out of touch with friends and family. Here’s how to save on your phone bill, without losing contact:
1. Get a package deal. You may be able to save on telephone costs by bundling it with television and internet services.
2. Cut the frills. Drop the caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, three-way calling, voice mail, and other non-essential features.
3. Make calls over the internet. If you have a broadband internet connection, consider using Voice over IP (VoIP) service—offered by companies like Skype and Vonage—for long-distance calls.
4. Use prepaid phone cards. If you make long-distance calls infrequently, they can be more economical than a monthly service plan.
5. Lose the land line. If you have a cell phone plan with plenty of minutes, consider dropping the land line altogether. You can save $20-$30 each month.