JSA - Help setting up in self-employment

Wed, 29/02/2012 - 14:22 -- nick

Jobcentre Plus offices sometimes advertise details of self-employment possibilities for unemployed people, including contract work and commission-only vacancies. They may also be able to provide information on starting a small business or arranging a franchise. If you want information, you should speak to your personal adviser.
Jobcentre Plus offices can also refer you to your local Enterprise Club. Enterprise Clubs are run by local businesses and can give advice and support to unemployed people who want to start their own business. There is more information about Enterprise Clubs on the DWP website at: www.dwp.gov.uk.
New Enterprise Allowance
If you are unemployed, you may be able to claim New Enterprise Allowance to help you start a business. It is available in certain areas only from April 2011, and will not be available nationally until Autumn 2011. New Enterprise Allowance is part of the Employment, Skills and Enterprise Scheme.
In England, help for unemployed people who want to start up in business is available through Business Link. Their helpline is 0845 600 9006 or minicom 0845 606 2666, and their website is: www.businesslink.gov.uk.
In Wales, business.wales.gov.uk is a Welsh Assembly Government programme designed to help people who wish to start, maintain or expand a business in Wales. You can contact their helpline on 03000 6 03000. Their website is: www.business-support-wales.gov.uk.
In Scotland, help for unemployed people who want to start their own business is available through Business Gateway. You can contact their helpline on 0845 609 6611, or minicom 0800 023 2071. Their website is: www.bgateway.com.
If you're aged between 18 and 30 and have a business idea, the Prince's Trust may be able to help with advice and funding. The website is: www.princes-trust.org.uk.
For general advice about starting up in self-employment, see Self-employment: checklist.
Citizens Advice Bureau