Bubble and Squeak is a traditional English vegetable dish made from the leftover vegetables from a Sunday roast. The name is derived from the sound the dish makes while cooking.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fat or oil
- Various cooked vegetables, potatoes and cabbage, optionally carrots, peas, and Brussels sprouts.
- Start by frying a chopped onion in fat or oil. (if using)
- Chop the vegetables (which will have been boiled the previous day) together, and add to the pan.
- Cook over a medium heat till the underside is golden brown and crispy, then turn it, scraping the crispy bits into the mix.
- Repeat the turning and scraping a few times until browned and cooked through, then serve (often on crunchy toast).